Composite plastic waste into a valuable product
Tatabánya Industrial Park - HU
- 4200 tonnes composite plastic waste produced in a year which contains several types of plastic (PP, PE, PET, aPET, EVA, PVC, PA) and organic material
- Instead of energy recovery we would like to find an alternative solution and move forward in the waste hierarchy
- There are some companies that can make valuable products with use of waste plactic: plastic enclosures or outdoor garden furniture & accessories
- Testing and experimenting are needed, because the PE, PVC and organic content can cause difficulties in the processing
- Possible stakeholders who we can involve: research institues, waste handling companies, recyclers
- Reduce the waste amount that goes to incineration – aim is the whole 4200 t
- Resource efficiency increase and cost reduction to both parties
- Less environmental effect
- Avoided technologial problems during incineration
- Composition of waste plastic does not allow recycling (e.g. PVC or organic component)
- huge amount, continuous processing/technology is required
pilot progress and news
After an extensive research, a recycler company which is able to use the whole amount of waste composite plastic as a raw material has been identified. The shredded multilayer plastic is delivered to this receiver company where the next plastic products can be manufactured from the waste:
· grass grids,
· reusable storage bins – that can be used by the donor company in their processes.
The high quality of the products is constant; the products have a very long lifetime. They are extremely resistant to weather, moisture, rot, fungi, parasites and everyday chemicals, do not absorb water, and therefore do not freeze and crack in winter. They require minimal maintenance, so there are no renovation costs.
At the moment only outside application of the new products (pavements) is possible because it contains chloride (PVC content). Further tests for outdoor application are in progress.
The following infographic shows the waste characteristic and the feasible circular economy solution. Implementation is in progress.